Southwold win to stay top of the table
- Credit: Archant
London 3 East Wymondham 7 Southwold 26 Southwold kept touch with Stowmarket at the top of the league with a confident win on the road in Norfolk, writes David Vaughan.
Wymondham had barely touched the ball before they conceded the first try 14 minutes in to the game, ‘Wold skipper James Hall sprinting in to score. The conversion made it 7-0.
The Suffolk side looked most likely to score next, but the Wymondham winger took advantage of an error to race down the pitch for a great individual try to level matters.
On the half hour ‘Wold won good ball from a scrum and Callum Anthony popped a beautiful kick over the Wymondham line which James Barton sprinted on to and caught to score under the posts. With Wallis again easily taking the extra two points, it was 14-7 in Wold’s favour.
It took almost until half-time and another touch of brilliance from Anthony for them to add to their score.
You may also want to watch:
Another great kick over the Wymondham line this time saw Ollie Carlstrom catch the ball on the full and he sprinted 20-metres before he off-loaded back to Anthony, who sprinted in under the posts for another great try. Wallis again added the extras and it was 21-7 at the break.
The second half was more of a dire affair with the heavy pitch and wet conditions gradually taking a heavy toll on both sides, as the game became a bit of an error strewn brawl, but it must be said ‘Wold were always on top and it was only a question of time before the fourth try came along, bringing with it the bonus point.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
And what a good try it was, this time from the forwards. ‘Wold were camped ten metres from the Wymondham line right under the posts and there were a great series of pick and go drives before the ball was spun out wide to flanker Jobe Brookes, who crashed forward through the line and then offloaded brilliantly to debutant Miulo Cawkwell to dot down.
Wallis narrowly missed the conversion and the score remained at 26-7 until the final whistle, with five valuable points secured.
The weekend’s results keep Southwold and Stowmarket level on 60 points apiece at the top of the London 3 Eastern Counties table.