Spotlight on Parkrun: Colchester Castle Parkrun
- Credit: Archant
This week’s spotlight on Parkruns, in Suffolk and Essex, falls on the Colchester Castle Parkrun:
The Colchester Castle Parkrun regularly attracts fields over 300 runners, and sometimes even 400-plus, and last Saturday morning was no exception.
A field of 335 congregated at the start, near the band-stand in the Upper Park, to tackle a tough course featuring a stiff incline up and around the castle on each of the two laps.
Edward Mitchell was first home in 18mins 12secs, which was 21 seconds slower than his personal best for this 5K course.
Jonathan Nears celebrated his 49th Parkrun with 18:29 in second. Over-40 veteran Nears, a member of Colchester Harriers, has a best of 17:22 for this course.
You may also want to watch:
Teenager Nebay Debesay, of Braintree & District, was third home in 18:47, a PB, followed by over-50 veteran Andy Raynor, from Colchester Harriers, who clocked 18:52 in his 93rd Parkrun.
Laura Shewbridge, also of the Harriers, was the first female finisher and ninth overall in 19:30. Youngster Jasmine West (15-17 year-old age group) was second in 21:45, and Sadie Moore was a Colchester Castle Parkrun ‘first timer’ in third (21:54).
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 6 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 10 Long queues at Primark from 7am in Ipswich as lockdown eases
As usual, there were many ‘first timers’ making their debuts at the Colchester Parkrun.
In addition to Moore, those first timers in the first 100 finishers included Ken Summers, Katy Fidler, Steve Lynn, Gemma Cann, Paul Stephen, Tim Allen and Glenn Hellyer.