Spurs monitor Paraguayan defender
SPURS manager Harry Redknapp is keeping an eye on 29-year-old Paraguay defender Paulo Cesar da Silva, who will be available on a free transfer in the summer.
SPURS manager Harry Redknapp is keeping an eye on 29-year-old Paraguay defender Paulo Cesar da Silva. (Daily Mirror)
The 29-year-old will become a free agent at the end of the season and has already indicated a willingness to move to the Premier League after being sounded out by Sunderland in the past.
Tottenham had a scout at Paraguay's recent World Cup qualifier with Ecuador, during which Silva again impressed in the 1-1 draw, despite being shown a red card late on in the game.
Capped 33 times for his country, Silva is a rugged, no nonsense defender whose physicality and experience would appear to make him well suited to the English domestic game.
You may also want to watch:
Paraguay are the surprise leaders of the South American qualifying group and Silva's solid defensive qualities have contributed to what looks like certain qualification for South Africa 2010.
Tottenham's need for defensive cover is great as Ledley King's persistent injury continues to limit the number of games he can play in quick succession.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 3 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 4 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 5 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 6 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 8 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 9 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 10 600 protesters form 'human wall' to oppose Sizewell C sea defences
Silva is determined to seize another chance to play in Europe after having previously played for Perugia and Venezia in Italy.
The defender is currently contracted to Mexican side Toluca, with whom he won the league championship last season.