Spurs set to be busy in transfer market
DIDIER Zokora says he is ready to quit Tottenham after losing his first-team place. (Mirror)Zokora, 28, was left on the bench for Tottenham's defeat at Manchester United on Saturday and finds himself well down the pecking order in Harry Redknapp's squad.
DIDIER Zokora says he is ready to quit Tottenham after losing his first-team place. (Mirror)
Zokora, 28, was left on the bench for Tottenham's defeat at Manchester United on Saturday and finds himself well down the pecking order in Harry Redknapp's squad.
The Ivory Coast midfielder, an �8million signing from St Etienne three years ago, says he will probably have to leave this summer for the sake of his World Cup place.
Zokora said: “If I can't play regularly, then I shall be looking to leave. All my career I have been first choice and Harry likes me, but he also has good players and I need to play.
You may also want to watch:
“The World Cup is in June 2010 and I can't sit on the bench if I want to be in the Ivorian squad.
“I am working hard to impress and get back in the team. I would like the season to finish on a high - but it is hard for me after being dropped.”
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 8 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
Zokora finds himself on a lengthy list of possible departures this summer. England midfielder David Bentley is likely to leave if Spurs agree to cut their losses on last summer's �16m transfer fee with Blackburn.
Tom Huddlestone, Gareth Bale, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Darren Bent and Jermaine Jenas may also go.
The Spurs wanted list includes Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing, Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones and Blackburn's in-demand forward Roque Santa Cruz.
Sulley Muntari has hinted he could be leaving Inter Milan for White Hart Lane. The Ghana international midfielder played under Redknapp at Portsmouth, where he departed last July for Italy.
Muntari, 24, said: “I love the football in England. Everyone knows that I really like Harry. He is one of the best coaches in football. At the end of the season, things could change - so we must wait and see.”