‘One of the best managers in English football’ – Evans hailed after Gills finish above Town
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Gillingham boss Steve Evans has been hailed as ‘one of the best managers in English football’ after he steered the Gills to finish above Ipswich Town in League One last season.
Fiery Evans, who fell out with Town boss Paul Lambert last season having refused to shake his hand following the Blues’ win at Priestfield, was hailed by Gillingham chairman Paul Scally.
Scally told Kent Online: “Steve Evans is one of the best managers in English football.
“People may laugh at that but having worked very closely with him, he is an all round good manager and he has a good perception for business. He is very understanding of the pressures and strains of business and very good with the players. He doesn’t accept second best.
“We are very focused on the journey and he is very much with me, obviously frustrated like we all are about not playing football, but he has learned to deal with it. We are now planning ahead and he is very much part of that planning process.
“Steve is exactly the right character, for me, for the football club. He has many qualities and many qualities that people don’t really see.
“We work very well together as we should do as manager and chairman.”
You may also want to watch:
And Scally highlighted what Evans had achieved last season with limited resources - pointing out that other managers in the division had ‘significant budgets’, reference perhaps to Lambert.
Hes said: “I am pleased for what he has achieved for him, as much as anyone else, for myself of course, but pleased for him and the fans because we have had some lean years and some difficult years and nobody wants to see that year on year.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
“Steve did it within the appropriate budget for this division and he did it understanding the budget was good and what it should be without any complaints or questions. There are other mangers in this division who have had significant budgets.”