Steven Gillespie smashes home superb equaliser
Colchester United 1 Sheffield United 1
DEADLY marksman Steven Gillespie rifled home his ninth goal, in his last 10 appearances, to hold second-placed Sheffield United to a draw at the Weston Homes Community Stadium tonight.
Gillespie cancelled out Will Hoskins’ first-half opener with a superb long-range equaliser in the 56th minute.
Kayode Odejayi set up the chance for Gillespie by showing terrific strength to fend off his marker, and nudge into his fellow striker’s path.
Gillespie still had much to do, but his first-time shot from the edge of the box beat keeper Steve Simonsen, and flew into the net via the underside of the bar.
You may also want to watch:
It was the ex-Cheltenham striker’s 11th goal of the season, an impressive haul considering that he rarely had a start during the first half of the campaign.
This latest effort also stretched the U’s fine recent run to just one defeat in nine games.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 6 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 9 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson