Ex-Town defender Taylor heading for India
Former Ipswich Town defender Steven Taylor is heading to the Indian Super League, having signed for Odisha FC.
Taylor, now 34, has signed a one year deal with Odisha, formerly known as the Delhi Dynamos.
The defender, who played three times for Town in an injury hit spell between January and July 2017, is best known for his long tenure at Newcastle United, for whom he played more than 250 times.
He turned out for Wellington Phoenix in the Australian A-League last season.
Taylor, who will be reunited with his former England U21 coach Stuart Baxter at Odisha, said: “I am extremely delighted to join Odisha FC and am hopeful that that my experience and leadership qualities will be helpful for the team.
“I am very happy to be working under Stuart once again and can’t wait to meet all the young Indian lads.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope I can help the lads push on and in turn egg the team on towards the play-off spots.”
Baxter added: “Steven’s credentials speak for himself but more than that we are bringing leadership qualities into our young squad.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 10 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
“He is an exceptional defender and his presence will give the whole team a big boost.”