Stevenage v Colchester United, nostalgia: Jabo Ibehre nets brace in away win
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United writer Carl Marston recalls a fruitful trip to Stevenage on March 2, 2013, a day when the U’s cruised to a 2-0 victory.
It couldn’t have been a better weekend for Joe Dunne’s U’s team, both in terms of their own result and those of their lowly League One rivals.
Jabo Ibehre was the star turn, bagging a second-half brace to sink hosts Stevenage at Broadhall Way, following on from their midweek 2-0 home win over Yeovil.
Just as importantly, Oldham’s 2-0 defeat to Sheffield United, and Scunthorpe’s 1-0 loss at Brentford, enabled the U’s to leapfrog both clubs in the League One table to climb out of the relegation zone.
Dunne’s men, with 11 games left, were now two points clear of the bottom four – ultimately they were to finish one place and three points clear of the drop zone, thanks to a final day 2-0 win at Carlisle.
You may also want to watch:
Back at Stevenage, Ibehre broke the deadlock on 61 minutes, firmly heading home Billy Clifford’s pinpoint free-kick, much to the delight of the U’s travelling supporters who were huddled behind that goal.
Ibehre wrapped up the points with his second goal of the game in the 72nd minute, steering home Gavin Massey’s low cross to chalk up his seventh goal of the season.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
“Everyone knows we don’t do draws, so you would say that we need five wins to get safe,” explained target man Ibehre
U’s team: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Garmston, Clifford, Bond, G Porter (sub Thompson, 90+2), Sears (sub Morrison, 71), Massey (sub White, 88), Ibehre.