Stowmarket swimmer Ryan Clay makes a splash at National Championships
- Credit: Archant
Stowmarket swimmer Ryan Clay has returned from the National Swimming Championships at Ponds Forge in Sheffield as one of the top seven athletes in the country in his age group.
Clay, 17, who swims for Teamipswich, set two new personal bests on his way to seventh in the final of the 200m breastroke for the 17/18-year-old age group.
After winning the Eastern Region Championships in June, Clay had high hopes of swimming well after qualifying in 21st position is his age group.
But he excelled, setting a new personal best time of 2.26.36 in the heats, 1.43 seconds faster than his previous best time.
He went faster still in his semi-final race, setting another personal best time of 2.24.42, 1.84 seconds faster than the heats and 3.25 seconds faster than his entry time for the competition.
In the final, Clay finished seventh with exactly the same time as he had achieved in the semis, 2.24.42.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 A12 blocked following two vehicle crash
- 7 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 8 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 9 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 10 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK