Stowmarket Town exit Suffolk Senior Cup with loss at Wickham Market
Suffolk Senior Cup Wickham Market 1 Stowmarket Town 0 Stow’s hopes of cup success this season came to an abrupt end after a 1-0 defeat at Wickham Market on Saturday.
Matt Southwick’s 17th-minute strike secured a first win of the campaign for the Suffolk and Ipswich League Senior Division side, who as a result knocked their opponents out of their last cup competition they had left to play for, the Suffolk Senior Cup.
Rick Andrews’ side were left to curse their luck after Market goalkeeper Paul Kink pulled off a string of fine saves during the contest to deny Stow from starting a cup run.
The Old Gold and Blacks were looking to end a run of seven matches without a win, and started well with Ashley Holmes’ shot being blocked from close range in the third minute.
Tom Bradlaugh’s flick-on released Josh Cheetham towards goal, but his tame effort was collected by Kink. The Wickham goalkeeper was then tested even more to push away Ashley Holmes’ strike, as Stow continued to push for the opening goal.
You may also want to watch:
However it would be the hosts that broke the deadlock to take a one-goal lead that would eventually end up being the winner. Southwick beat Jamie Gregory to an inviting through ball and fired low into the corner past Pearson to put the home side 1-0 up after 17 minutes.
Despite the set-back, Stow maintained their assault on the Wickham goal. Baden Holmes’ long ball over the Market backline found Bradlaugh, whose strike was kept out by an outspread Kink.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
With half-time looming, Town were once again denied by the Wickham goalkeeper, who pulled off a superb double save to keep his side ahead at the break. Cheetham charged down the right side and into the penalty area, with his effort pushed away by Kink, before the rebound from Bradlaugh was also kept out seconds later.
Kink was brought into action again on the hour mark, tipping over Ben Licence’s deflected strike, before pushing away Cheetham’s strike two minutes later.
Stow return to league action with the visit of Saffron Walden Town to Greens Meadow on Saturday (3pm).
Stow: Pearson, B Holmes, Coldron (Proctor 57), Austin, Marsh, Gregory, Capocci, A Holmes, B Licence (Gray 69), Bradlaugh (c), Cheetham. Subs not used: S Licence, Thurlow.