Stowupland Falcons FC challenge themselves to cycle to all 72 clubs in their league
- Credit: Archant
Covering almost 400 miles and visiting all 72 teams in their league – Stowupland Falcons FC aim to raise thousands of pounds for their club by taking on a mighty cycling challenge.
The club, which is based behind Stowupland’s village hall, wants to raise at least £3,000 to purchase new kits for the majority of their 22 teams.
To do this, a fundraising team from the club is cycling to every club in the Suffolk and Ipswich Football League, which they compete in.
Ian Wearing, honorary vice-president, is one of four main riders doing the cycling.
On Sunday, more than 70 miles were covered by taking in clubs in Stradbroke, Halesworth, Wenhaston and Framlingham, among others.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wearing said: “Every player has got a sponsor form which they’ve taken home. We have 300 players at the club, so if they all get just £10 each, then that’s £3,000.
“For a lot of our teams that’s the target, but there is potential to get more than that depending how much each parent or player pushes it; there is potential to raise a lot more money.”
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 9 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 10 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
One of the motives behind the fundraising is also to mark the club’s 40th anniversary.
Although a team in the village near Stowmarket has been going since the early 1900s, the Stowupland Falcons was not formally set up until 1974.
So far, two days have been spent cycling to some of the 72 clubs – with around 100 miles completed so far.
As well as Mr Wearing, Jon Wray, Barry Risby and Marcos Toffanello are the main cyclists.
For more information call Mr Wearing on 07901 373373 or go to www.stowuplandfalconsfc.co.uk