Sam Rust stars as Sudbury cruise to win over Chelmsford
- Credit: Archant
London 2 North Sudbury 38 Chelmsford 3 Sudbury consolidated the second place position in the league with a bonus point win over Chelmsford at Whittome field, with the added bonus of the third-placed team losing their home game.
Chelmsford had the best of the play for the first ten minutes, attempting to spin the ball wide from the set pieces, but the home defence held firm then, from a good passage of play through five phases, Chris Whybrow scored with Sudbury’s first meaningful move into the opposition half.
Chelmsford reduced the arrears with a penalty, but captain and man of the match Jake Thurlow then made a decisive break to put Sam Rust clear to score with just over half the period gone.
Towards the end of the half Chelmsford slowed things down by picking and driving but Sudbury, as always, defended well for a 14–3 half time score.
Playing up the slope in the second half, Jack Dachtler scored with less than a minute on the clock.
You may also want to watch:
Sudbury were having the best of the action but were making it hard for themselves with silly handling errors.
Sudbury forwards then took up the mantle and picked and drove half the length of the pitch and, with the Chelmsford forwards looking tired, a line-out in the 22 saw Sudbury drive over but fail to touch down.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 9 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
A Sudbury scrum just inside the 22 then saw them move the ball quickly across the park out to Austin Beckett on the far left to touch down for the bonus point try with just under ten minutes left to play.
From this point on it was all Sudbury. Dachtler pounced on a loose ball to score under the posts and with the final play of the game Rust scored to bring his tally to two tries and three conversions for the day.