Sudbury grab a vital win in battle to avoid the drop
London Two North Sudbury 38 Letchworth Garden City 13 Sudbury earned a long awaited win against mid-table Letchworth to move them above Chelmsford in the league but still not definitely clear of relegation with just two games left.
Sudbury kicked off up the slope and immediately tried to pressurize the visitors but handling errors again spoilt early moves. It took ten minutes for Letchworth to settle but they scored first with a penalty kick mid-way in the Sudbury half.
Letchworth eventually scored their first try when Sudbury succumbed to the pressure as the strong pack drove over from close range from a five scrum to score after 25 minutes of play and then add a further penalty.
Sudbury replied when they were awarded a penalty in their own 22 and Frazer Beckett took a quick tap to make a good break before Chris Lewis made the metres to put Harry Maile clear down the wing to score after half an hour.
New boy Pat Harrison then made a superb break down the middle of the park and Charles Jackson, in support, finished the move off for a half time score of 14-13, a score which reflected the closeness of the encounter.
You may also want to watch:
There had been signs that Letchworth were slowing toward the end of the first half and as the second half started it was Sudbury who were in control.
Harry Maile scored after fifteen minutes from a move which started on the away 22 and the ball was worked right-to-left through the backs to the far wing.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 3 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 6 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 9 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 10 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
From the restart Sudbury took the initiative and ran the ball deep into the Letchworth half and another right-to-left move to Alex Zahid to power over from ten metres out for the bonus point try.
Letchworth were now looking ragged and were desperately trying to slow the game down, Sudbury on the other hand wanted to run and keep the game open.
Henry Cowling scored from a line-out in the 22 when the ball was thrown passed the line and he pounced on the loose ball and drove over.
Shaun Smith finished the afternoon with a good run from a breakdown just inside the half to outrun the defence for an emphatic win for Sudbury with only minutes left on the clock.