Sudbury gymnast Crystal Watts wins Suffolk title and heads to Thailand with high hopes of making the National Squad
- Credit: Archant
Sudbury Gymnastics Club’s Crystal Watts and her team-mates Isabella Sell, Maddie Swam, Freya Donohoe and Lucy Carter took part in the Suffolk Gymnastics Championships last weekend.
Crystal Watts competed in the Fig Challenge which is the highest level competition.
Because of serious back injury Crystal hadn’t competed in more than two years and had never competed at this level before.
She scored 47.30, the highest score of the day for this level and took the county title.
It’s first time in 20 years that a gymnast from Sudbury has held this title.
You may also want to watch:
For Crystal this was the beginning of an exciting time for her.
On September 22 she will be off to Thailand to compete in the Thailand national Championships.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 8 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 9 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
- 10 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
If she is successful at these championships it is hoped that she will make the Thailand National Squad which will open the door for her to potentially compete in South East Asian Games, Asian Games, Junior World Championships, World Championships, Olympic GamesIf Crystal is successful she will become the first-ever Sudbury gymnast to make it to international level.
Isabella and Lucy were taking part in the level four out of age at the Championships, Lucy in the 12-13 age group came a credtiabble 7th place with a score of 42.25.
Isabelle took part in the 10-11 age group and came third with a score of 44.75 taking the bronze medal and also qualifying for the regional finals
Maddie and Freya were competing in age level four, the first time any Sudbury Gymnast has competed at this level in age (age 8-9) both competed well and came 4th (Freya) and 5th (Maddie).
Both will be competing at the end of the month in the regional qualifying competition for the national finals to be held in Guildford in November.