Sudbury lose crucial London 1 North game against Fullerians

Sudbury's Shaun Smith was stretchered from the pitch with a suspected broken ankle.

Sudbury's Shaun Smith was stretchered from the pitch with a suspected broken ankle.

Sudbury threw away a winnable game, making silly mistakes that gave their opposition possession and field position, whilst squandering scoring opportunities with poor handling.

The visitors played the better and more attractive rugby for most of the game and were only outgunned in the scrummages, the hosts prevailing 17-11 in this close London 1 encounter..

After Sudbury missed an early penalty, due to a strong crosswind, Fullerians, who are 11th in the league table, scored on seven minutes with an unconverted try.

Sudbury immediately counter-attacked, maintaining pressure on the line and Fullerians kicked long for relief, only for the visitors to continue running straight back, catching the defence offside.

They were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and Chris Lewis made no mistake with the kick after half an hour.

More penalties gave the hosts field position, their long kicks to touch forcing Sudbury to work back up the field again and again.

Harry Maile crossed the line for Sudbury in time added-on after a lineout and good hands to the centre of the park.

Most Read

Fullerians attacked from the restart and had soon crossed the line but were held up, giving them a five scrum.

At this point Shaun Smith was stretchered from the pitch with a suspected broken ankle, a huge blow to the Sudbury campaign.

From the scrum, Sudbury defended several home attacks well, before eventually succumbing to the Fullerians’ onslaught.

Soon after though, the visitors were awarded a penalty, 12 metres into the opposition half – Lewis making no mistake with the kick for a one-point lead.

However, unnecessary penalties from Sudbury gave the initiative back to the hosts and Sudbury were forced to defend for the last 15 minutes.

They did have a chance to score, but another good move ended with a knock on and, in the closing minutes, Fullerians scored again to secure the win.

Sudbury remain second from bottom in London 1, five points behind third-bottom Chelmsford, with five games left to play.

This was a missed opportunity as Chelmsford themselves lost heavily, 52-14 at a mid-table Ruislip side.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter