Hayes shows his class as Sudbury strutt their stuff on Boxing Day to leave Mildenhall with few answers

Paul Hayes scored a super hat-trick. Picture: CLIVE PEARSON

Paul Hayes scored a super hat-trick. Picture: CLIVE PEARSON - Credit: Archant

AFC Sudbury 3 Mildenhall Town 1

AFC Sudbury won this West Suffolk Bostik North derby with consummate ease despite playing with ten men for 75 minutes to move up to seventh in the table leaving Mildenhall a point above bottom-placed Soham Town.

The scoreline could so easily have been greater had it not been for their Australian keeper Blake Horton’s first half saves that included denying Callum Harrison from the spot.

The visitors were ultimately run ragged and visibly dispirited by the time of the final whistle, in front of 240 spectators at Kings Marsh watched by there new manager Ricky Cornish who on this showing faces a challenging task ahead.

There were some sparkling home performers, none more so that Paul Hayes, who scored a superb hat trick, the second of which was of sheer class and worth the entrance money alone.

You may also want to watch:

Mildenhall had no answer to the dominance of the home midfield trio that saw Ben Hunter, Tom Dettmar and Callum Harrison orchestrate proceedings with some delightful football.

The opening exchanges gave no indication as to what was to follow.

Most Read

In the 16th minute referee Mr Pope denied the home side an obvious free kick when Hunter was poorly challenged, but the official allowed play to continue and seconds later, in consequence, Billy Holland was red carded for foul and abusive language.

Two minutes later the visitors fashioned a fine goal when Andrew Camilo-Tayaka released a fine ball to Abouhadje Kouassi who struck an excellent shot across keeper Paul Walker that went in off the post.

Even the most ardent supporters would have cast doubts thereon, but in the 23rd minute Harrison crossed from the right and Hayes with precision brought the ball down off his chest and as the keeper narrowed the angle lobbed the ball over into the net.

Horton was under much pressure and made fine saves to deny Harrison on three occasions including a penalty, Reece Harris and a further effort from Hayes. However he was culpable before the break when Hayes took advantage of a poor clearance to make it 2-1.

On 48 minutes the exciting 17 year old Liam Bennett crossed and the experienced Hayes turned and volleyed home.

The Hall had more of the play against the 10 men, and Claudio Ofusu went close, but they barely threatened to lay siege on the home goal and Sudbury manager Mark Morsley will be well satisfied with his youngsters who largely outclassed the struggling visitors.

Referee Mr Anthony Pope.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter