Suffolk athlete Wilkinson wins bronze medal at European U-23 Champs
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Suffolk athlete Callum Wilkinson won a bronze medal in the men’s 20K race walk at the European Under-23 Athletics Championships, held in Gavle, Sweden, earlier today.
An in-form Wilkinson, of Moulton near Newmarket, finished third in 1hr 22mins 13secs for the 20km distance.
Russia's Vasiliy Mizinov, the pre-race favourite, won in 1:21.29 with Turkey's Salih Korkmaz second in 1:21.32.
Wilkinson, who was the co-captain of the British squad, went through half-way at 10K in 40:53, and although content with a bronze medal, would have liked even better.
"The fact that I've got mixed feelings over a bronze medal shows how far I've come and the huge amount of work myself and my team have put in," said Wilkinson.
You may also want to watch:
"I did it the hard way and it was a very tough race, but I've got my medal. I tried to stay with the Russian but I got a couple of cards so had to pull back and be more controlled. Yet I felt I was in better shape than that performance showed."
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 4 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies