Suffolk boxer Anthony Ogogo signs with Golden Boy Promotions
SUFFOLK Olympian Anthony Ogogo is on his way to becoming a ‘global boxing star’ after signing a professional deal with the legendary Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.
The Lowestoft middleweight, who won bronze at London 2012, follows in the footsteps of several British superstars to have worked with Golden Boy, including Amir Khan, Ricky Hatton and David Haye.
Founded by six-weight world champion De La Hoya and based in Los Angeles, Golden Boy are renowned as the biggest boxing promotional company in the world.
Ogogo, 24, said tonight: “I am delighted to be signing with the premier promoter in boxing, Golden Boy Promotions.
“So many great fighters have come before me at Golden Boy and in the coming years I hope to live up to the standard they’ve set. I can’t wait to get started.”
You may also want to watch:
“2012 has been without doubt one of the greatest years of my life.
“To represent my country at a home Games was an incredible experience and the bronze medal I won will always be close to my heart.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 9 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 10 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
“Following the Olympics I’ve been looking to the future and considering a number of options, and feel that the time is now right to turn professional with Golden Boy.”
Richard Schafer, Golden Boy CEO, said: “Anthony Ogogo has everything you look for in a boxer.
“He can fight, he has style and charisma and he has amazing crossover potential.
“I have no doubt that Anthony has the skills in the ring and the personality outside of it to make him a global boxing star.
“We are proud to have him on our team and this is just the first step in our growing commitment to British boxing.”
Details of Ogogo’s professional debut will be announced by Golden Boy shortly.