Young Ipswich boxer Ellie, 12, takes aim at Olympics
- Credit: Archant
A young Ipswich boxer is making waves on the fighting scene with a couple of major victories at national level.
Ellie Mateer, 12, only started boxing in March last year but is already among the top fighters in the country for her age.
The Westbourne Academy student, who trains at Sudbury ABC, was entered into the National Schools Championship this year and fought her way to gold - the only boxer from the eastern counties to come home as champion.
That saw her given a place on the England talent programme, which means she trains once a month with the country's top coaches and fighters.
Then last month she competed in the Monkstown International Box Cup in Ireland, fighting against boxers from around the world, and again came home with the gold medal.
You may also want to watch:
Proud dad Mark said: "The boxing season has now finished and Ellie will have a break before training hard for her next season where she will be defending her titles and hopefully winning other titles on the way.
"We have so much confidence that if Ellie sticks to her training and boxing that she will be boxing in the Olympics."
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Controversial plans that would double village in size set for approval
- 3 Timeline: When can you expect to receive the Covid vaccine?
- 4 Electricity restored to almost 500 homes following power cut
- 5 Infection rates drop in Suffolk as UK records deadliest day of pandemic
- 6 Hadleigh rated as one of the worst areas for coronavirus deaths in England
- 7 Two more League One clubs make approaches for Ipswich Town defender Donacien
- 8 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 9 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 10 Church saved from collapse 'tragedy' after major cracks in walls appear