Suffolk face Cambridge MCCU as they get ready for new cricket season
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk start their preparations for the 2018 season with a T20 double-header versus Cambridge MCCU on Sunday.
Sudbury CC are staging the two matches, starting at 11am and at 2.45pm respectively, at their Friars Street ground.
Suffolk skipper Adam Mansfield is one of four Sudbury players in the 12-man squad. Team-mates, all-rounders Darren Batch and James Poulson, and opening bowler Billy Moulton-Day make up the quartet.
Sudbury player-coach Tom Huggins, who is on the coaching staff at Essex, has been brought in as coach for Suffolk’s T20 campaign this season.
Suffolk head coach Andy Northcote said: “Unfortunately our Essex 2nd XI friendly had to be cancelled due to the lack of a club facility being available.
You may also want to watch:
“That being said, the sessions we have had have been excellent and having Tom Huggins on the coaching team has been a wonderful addition.
“His knowledge of the T20 game is second-to-none and hopefully this will pay dividends as the season progresses.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
The Suffolk side includes Colchester & East Essex captain Jake Foley, who is a 23-year-old leg spinner and has moved to the Woodbridge area.
Also featuring for the first time will be former Kent all-rounder Adam Ball, who has signed for Suffolk as a professional this season.
Copdock & Old Ipswichian batsman Jed Cawkwell, who enjoyed a successful 2016 season but was unavailable last year, returns along with slow-left armer Joe Ellis-Grewal, who played for the county a few years ago and for Essex 2nd XI last season.
All-rounders Michael Comber and Kyran Young are unavailable while Sussex and England paceman Tymal Mills, who has agreed to play in Suffolk’s opening three T20 fixtures, does not feature.
Entry is free and there will be a licensed bar.
Suffolk start their T20 campaign on Sunday, May 6 versus Norfolk at Woolpit CC, and then play Cambridgeshire at Peterborough CC, Bedfordshire at Bury St Edmunds CC and Hertfordshire at Harpenden CC. All matches will be double-header fixtures.
Suffolk squad: Jaik Mickleburgh, Jed Cawkwell, Adam Ball, Darren Batch, Ben Shepperson, Tom Rash, Adam Mansfield (wkt & capt), James Poulson, Jake Wakelin, Jake Foley, Billy Moulton-Day, Joe Ellis-Grewal.