Suffolk hammered by Devon in Unicorns KO Trophy quarter final

Suffolk's Joe Ellis-Grewal bowls.

Suffolk's Joe Ellis-Grewal bowls. - Credit: Su Anderson

Suffolk crashed to a heavy defeat at the hands of Devon by 138 runs, in the quarter-finals of the Unicorns KO Trophy yesterday, despite a six-wicket haul from Joe Ellis-Grewal.

Suffolk captain Justin Bishop had won the toss and elected to field, a decision which backfired as Devon’s opening pair of Rob Woodman and Liam Lewis shared a stand of 165 for the first wicket on a good batting strip at the Victory Ground, Bury St Edmunds.

The visitors eventually posted a formidable total of 278 for seven off their 50 overs, and Suffolk soon lost early wickets before eventually subsiding to a disappointing 140 all out inside 32 overs to complete a miserable day for the hosts.

Suffolk had qualified for the quarter-finals by topping Group Two, but they were soon frustrated by Devon’s in-form duo of Woodman and Lewis. They managed to stay together until the 34th over, when Suffolk finally celebrated a breakthrough.

Ellis-Grewal struck with the first of his six wickets, dismissing Lewis caught by Craig Estlea for 74, secured off 90 balls and including an impressive 13 boundaries and one six.

You may also want to watch:

But Devon still passed 200 well before 40 overs were up, even though Somerset’s James Burke and Woodman then became quickfire victims of Ellis-Grewal.

Having had Burke stumped by wicketkeeper Simon Guy for 11, slow left-armer Ellis-Grewal finally undid Woodman, but only after the opener had celebrated a classy century.

Most Read

Woodman was caught by Michael Comber, after himself to 13 boundaries and a six in his match-winning innings of 115, accumulated off 132 deliveries.

At that point, Devon were on 206 for three, with just under 10 overs to face, but they managed to keep up their momentum thanks to useful contributions from the middle order.

Ellis-Grewal ended with figures of six for 42, off his 10 overs. The only other wicket to fall was a run out, instigated by Ellis-Grewal himself.

Any hopes of a successful Suffolk run-chase were soon snuffed out as the hosts were quickly reduced to 38 for five.

Skipper Bishop was bowled first ball by Jamie Overton, and fellow opener Tom Huggins swiftly followed, another victim of Overton.

Devon’s other opener bowler, Trevor Anning, then dismissed both Will Root and Comber for single figure scores, while Simon Rees was trapped leg before by captain Josh Bess.

With their top five batsmen back in the pavilion, the hosts continued to lose wickets regularly, although all-rounder Craig Estlea at least offered some resistance before he was the eighth man out, with the score on 111.

Estlea’s entertaining knock of 39 was easily Suffolk’s top score. He hit two sixes and four fours in this cameo performance.

Devon captain Bess took the last two wickets to fall, to bring a prematue end to the match.

Suffolk’s innings only lasted for a little more than two hours, spanning 31.2 overs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter