Suffolk hockey clubs celebrate youth success
- Credit: Archant
Three different clubs were celebrating at the end of the Suffolk Youth Hockey league under-10 and under-12 seasons.
Felixstowe Hockey Club won the under-10s mixed league, while the under-12 boys’ league was topped by Ipswich and East Suffolk Hockey Club.
In the under-12s girls’ league, Ipswich Hockey Club were victorious.
Felixstowe Hockey Club’s head of youth hockey, Rebecca Williams, said: “The future is bright for hockey in Felixstowe.
“Our under-10s played some outstanding games against tough competitors in their league and were consistently working together as a team to score goals, keep goals out and most importantly, have fun.
You may also want to watch:
“We are thrilled that our commitment to developing youth hockey here in Felixstowe is paying off.”
The league has been running since September 2014 and in that period, 31 junior teams from across the county have competed against each other to become champions of their respective girls’, boys’ and mixed leagues. Teams entered into the league played each other three separate times.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 8 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
The next competition on the agenda for the region’s young hockey players is the IN2Hockey event which commences on February 22.
This is a regional competition into which the top two teams from the Suffolk competition qualify to represent their county. A plaque celebrating Felixstowe Hockey Club’s ‘England Hockey Club of the Year’ award for 2014 will be unveiled by the Mayor on March 1.