Suffolk include three untried players
SUFFOLK have named a squad of 13 players that includes three who have yet to play in the senior side for the Minor Counties Championship match against Northumberland at Jesmond starting tomorrow.
Copdock & Old Ipswichians opening batsman Archie Gravell, batsman James Alder from Ipswich CC and Bury St Edmunds bowler Tom Rash are all in the party for the three-day fixture, start 11am.
Adam Mansfield, who was called up at short notice for his debut in the 31-run victory over Buckinghamshire at Ipswich School last week, is left out as Suffolk wish to increase their bowling options.
Rash, 28, was included in the squad for a one-day match last season but did not play.
Suffolk skipper Justin Bishop said: “He has taken 24 wickets in the East Anglian Premier League so far this season. He is probably the wrong age as we are looking towards younger players, but you can’t ignore his performances.”
You may also want to watch:
The county, who have been criticised for not giving enough youngsters an opportunity in recent seasons, have given championship debuts to Sasha Ward, Scott Harvey, Matt Hunn and Adam Mansfield in the past year. Now it is possible that Gravell and Alder will follow suit.
Bishop explained that a combination of unavailability of players and a desire to introduce home-grown youngsters had seen several who have performed well in the county’s Development XI, effectively an under-19 side, given the chance.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 6 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 7 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
“We thought that our Essex 2nd XI players would be more available, but their fixtures have fallen on the same days as ours which has meant Michael Comber, who has had a foot injury anyway, and Max Osborne have not been available.
“The core of our team is getting older together and we needed to bring younger players into the side, and so have introduced home-grown Suffolk players. We would not pick them unless they were ready and they have not let us down.
“Scott Harvey has done well, although he has not got a big score yet, and Matt Hunn bowled exceptionally well and with genuine pace at Ipswich School,” added Bishop.
Suffolk squad: T Huggins, J Bishop (capt), M Cull, H Adnan, B France, S Harvey, C Warn (wkt), A Gravell, J Finch, P Edwards, M Hunn, J Alder, T Rash.