Who would make your England starting XI?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has named his 23-man World Cup squad - but who should make the starting XI against Tunisia?
Joe Hart was a notable omission from Southgate’s 23-man squad, with Burnley’s fit-again stopper Tom Heaton one of five players on stand-by along with James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.
“With Joe, we’ve got three other goalkeepers who have had very good seasons,” said Southgate.
“The decision I was faced with was do I keep Joe in and have experience around the group? Or give the three guys who have basically had a better season a chance? We felt the players all needed to be in on merit after their performances this season.
“History tells us that one of those standby players may end up in the squad, as it’s very unusual for us to get through the end of the season and our two preparation games without any issues.
You may also want to watch:
“All of the guys on standby have been really professional in their approach to this. They recognise there’s still an opportunity and we’ve had a lot of conversations over a period of time with them about their situation.”
England start their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18, followed by Group G clashes against Panama and Belgium.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 5 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 9 Missing person from Braintree has been found
- 10 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
• ENGLAND’S 23-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD:
Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy.