Suffolk Plate final makes for exciting prospect
IPSWICH YM will today look to put a seal on an almost perfect season when they travel to Southwold for the final of the Suffolk Plate.
Two promotions and the Suffolk Shield locked in the cabinet, YM will be looking for further success after winning the Eastern Counties 2 league by 14 points – despite a blip at Thetford last week.
Southwold go into the game having not played for three weeks, but with a respectable mid-table finish tucked away in Eastern Counties 1. They will also be looking to protect their proud record in the Plate having won the competition five times in the last decade. The finalists will be evenly matched and an exciting game is in prospect.
The second semi-final of the Suffolk Chadacre Cup is also held today with Eastern Counties 1 champions Stowmarket looking to enjoy success on their travels when they visit newly-relegated Mersea Island. Colchester await the winners with the final scheduled for May 1.
Lowestoft & Yarmouth visit Basildon in the fifth round of the RFU Senior Vase, hoping for revenge after being pipped in the race for the league title by their cup opponents. After drawing 20-20 in the league in March, another close match is expected with a place in the London divisional finals on St George’s Day the prize for the team that comes out on top.
You may also want to watch:
Away from the excitement of the latter stages of the cup, the curtain comes down on three of our sides in the league. Diss reach the end of a miserable season at Bishop’s Stortford where it is quite conceivable that they will concede their thousandth point – a firm reflection of their poor fortunes.
There is much better news in London 1 where Colchester and Bury St Edmunds are challenging each other for an impressive third spot. Colchester, who shade their rivals by two points, travel to Eton Manor while Bury entertain Thurrock.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw