Suffolk Plate Preliminary Round - Haverhill 15 Woodbridge Warriors 7
GOOD possession from number 8 Cooke and his team-mate Yorke gave the visitors an early advantage in this clash.
Conceding penalties in their own 22 forced Haverhill to kick clear, and Woodbridge’s line-out gave Cooke the opportunity to drive close enough to feed Barton, who scored and converted.
Breaking runs from the hosts’ Potter posed regular threats and it was not long before Haverhill stole a line-out, allowing scrum-half Hope to chip over for winger, Gibson, to score.
Woodbridge then squandered opportunities as Haverhill were penalised for ill-discipline and that proved costly as the omnipresent Potter touched down on the right to make it 10-7 at half-time.
After Haverhill almost scored a breakaway try at the start of the second half, Woodbridge tried some new tactics – clearance kicks back from deep and kicking centrally down field – but all too often the quick ball was too quick, the chase was too slow and tackles were missed.
You may also want to watch:
Haverhill eventually scored another try to wrap up the game when, from a line-out, second row Lansdown touched down.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move