Suffolk poised to play first - and final - group game
FORGET the wet weather, the last time Suffolk skipper Justin Bishop played at Shifnal in Shropshire it snowed!
Suffolk are scheduled to play their final Group Two game in the Minor Counties Trophy at the Shropshire venue on Sunday, after three successive wash-outs against Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Wiltshire.
Former Essex all-rounder Bishop, who was playing in an English Schools’ game, recalled: “We played at Shifnal in late March or early April. It was freezing cold and we had a snow flurry!”
Assuming the 50 overs-a-side match goes ahead on Sunday, Suffolk know that only a victory will give them a chance of progressing beyond the group stage.
Not one fixture in Group Two has escaped the clutches of the unseasonal weather that has accompanied the start of the season, with Lincolnshire set to entertain Shropshire in the final match a week on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Bishop said: “Shropshire have also got a game on Sunday week, which puts them in the box seat so far as qualification from the group is concerned, so we have got to win up there and try to win well.
“While we will be concentrating on winning the game, at the back of our minds we will be thinking about run rates. If we can win on Sunday then hopefully we will qualify from the group.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 5 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 6 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 7 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
“If the game goes ahead on Sunday the outcome may come down to the flip of a coin on what will be a green top, so we will have to assess the situation when we get up there.”
With batsman Sasha Ward unavailable due to studying for examinations, Suffolk will select from a squad of 12 players.
Suffolk squad: T Huggins, B France, M Cull H Adnan, S Guy, C Warn (wkt), C Swallow, J Bishop (capt), M Hunn, S Harvey, T Rash, S Rees.