Suffolk Premier Cup report - AFC Sudbury 3 Mildenhall Town 1. Correy Davidson bags slick brace as Sudbury reach last four

AFC Sudbury's Correy Davidson (red) who scored a slick brace against Mildenhall Town in Suffolk Prem

AFC Sudbury's Correy Davidson (red) who scored a slick brace against Mildenhall Town in Suffolk Premier Cup action on Tuesday evening - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

AFC Sudbury eased through to the last four of the Suffolk Premier Cup, thanks to three first-half goals against Mildenhall Town on Tuesday night.

Correy Davidson bagged a brace, courtesy of fine strikes on nine and 31 minutes, sandwiching an own goal by Michael Harvey.

The visitors stuck to their guns in the second period, and deserved their late consolation goal, via substitute Craig Nurse’s 88th minute free-kick.

But in truth, this quarter-final tie was effectively over, as a contest, after a little over a half-an-hour.

AFC Sudbury, going well in the Ryman North this season, are therefore in the hat for the semi-finals – the draw will be made on Friday.

You may also want to watch:

Following on from their narrow 1-0 defeat at Conference club Braintree Town, in the FA Trophy on Saturday, AFC Sudbury stamped their authority on this tie from the very first whistle, which ironically was sounded 15 minutes later than the scheduled kick-off – traffic congestion on local roads delayed the start.

Scott Kemp so nearly scored inside the first three minutes, from Terry Rymer’s cross, and Kemp again threatened with a drive that keeper Josh Pope saved on four minutes.

Most Read

A minute later and Kemp squandered a better chance, when spooning over the bar from point-blank range.

But the hosts did not take long to take the lead, thanks to Davidson’s smart finish on nine minutes. He volleyed smartly past Pope, from the edge of the penalty area.

Mildenhall’s first real chance arrived on 18 minutes. A cross-cum-shot by winger Kelvin Enaro, from the right flank, clipped the top of the bar and dropped to safety.

It was a very competitive contest, and Rymer was stopped in his tracks by a crunching tackle from defender Sam Parkinson, who injured himself in making the challenge.

Livewire Scott Kemp continued to pepper the target, and Sudbury’s No. 7 blasted narrowly over from Rymer’s low cross in the 25th minute.

Mildenhall’s resistance lasted until the half-hour mark, when two goals in just 30 seconds put David Batch’s side 3-0 up and out of sight.

An own goal by defender Harvey, and a second from Davidson, took this tie beyond the visitors.

For the second goal, Adarian Judge gave the ball away and Kemp burst down the right wing. His cross into the danger zone was headed into his own net by Harvey.

The excellent Davidson then quickly added his second, and Sudbury’s third, with a snap shot that ballooned into the net.

In fact, it could have been 4-0 at half-time, with Davidson so nearly completing what would have been a terrific first-half hat-trick. The wide-man skipped past a couple of challenge on a strong run before unleashing a rising shot which beat Pope, only to cannon back off the upright.

The second period was far more even, with chances very limited, until Mildenhall substitute Nurse squeezed home a late free-kick from a tight angle, the ball ricocheting in off the far post.

AFC SUDBURY: Archer, T Kemp, Yiga, Wilkinson (sub Flynn, 46), Henshaw, Robinson, S Kemp, Clarke, Rymer (Sub Ray, 66), Berquez, Davidson (sub Blackwell, 46).

MILDENHALL: Pope, Judge, Parkinson, Harvey, Werthmann, Steed, Enaro (sub McCabe, 56), Green, Burroughs (sub Nurse, 62), Holder, Paterson. Attendance: 101

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter