Suffolk referee has his ban lifted

WELCOME back to Irvin Flaherty, who has been told that he can referee again.

He has been officating in the SIL for 30 years, but was given an indefinite ban last month by Suffolk Football Association for poor administration.

Soon after his plight appeared in this column he was told that the ban had been lifted, and he is set to take charge of St Johns reserves’ home game this Saturday.

“It’s a big relief,” said Irvin. “I received a host of communications, and there was even a special page set up on a social network web site in an attempt to get me reinstated.”

He was at the centre of a storm last season after taking charge of the SIL match where Felixstowe United had a player sent off who subsequently played when suspended with the deduction of points because of the offence opening the way for Old Newton to win the Senior Division title.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter