Suffolk referees Abi Marriott and Emily Heaslip get international call-ups
- Credit: Archant
Two Suffolk referees are celebrating international call-ups, writes Nick Garnham.
Abi Marriott has been appointed as an assistant referee for the Women’s Under-19 European Championship Qualifying Round Group 8.
This is taking place in Austria from October 16th to 24th and will involve hosts Austria, Belgium, Croatia and FYR Macedonia.
The 25-year-old from Mildenhall was an assistant referee at last season’s SSE FA Women’s Cup Final between Manchester City and Birmingham City at Wembley Stadium.
Abi, a Level 3 referee, was an assistant referee at the UEFA Women’s Under-19 Championships in Bosnia and Herzegovina last November.
You may also want to watch:
Emily Heaslip of Bury St Edmunds has been selected to take part in the first leg of a Referee Development Exchange with the Danish FA.
She will fly to Copenhagen on September 29th for three days where she will take part in some quality referee education and training at the Danish FA headquarters in Brondby.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
The 23-year-old, who is a Level 5 referee, was selected to join Tier 1 of the new FA CORE programme last season, and will be participating on the Tier 2 programme this season.
The five-tier programme was set up to provide those referees involved with a season-long programme of quality training, education and development.
Both Abi and Emily are products of the Suffolk FA Youth Referees’ Academy sponsored by Globex Freight Management Ltd.
Academy Head Coach Trevor Pollard said of their appointments: “It is a great appointment for Abi and thoroughly deserved; I know she will represent her country and Suffolk with pride and passion.
“Emily will have a great weekend and certainly help with her refereeing development. It is a real achievement to be selected and a reward for her dedication.
“Both are good examples of what is achievable for female referees in Suffolk.”