Suffolk Reserve Cup Final report: Stowmarket Town see off Woodbridge Town

Stowmarket celebrate victory in the Suffolk Reserve Cup final. Picture: BEN POOLEY

Stowmarket celebrate victory in the Suffolk Reserve Cup final. Picture: BEN POOLEY - Credit: Archant

Suffolk Reserve Cup Final Stowmarket Town 2 Woodbridge Town 1 Two goals in as many minutes paved the way for Stowmarket Town to lift this season’s Suffolk FA Senior Reserve Cup sponsored by Days Sports.

Stowmarket defeated fellow Thurlow Nunn Reserve League side Woodbridge Town 2-1 in Thursday evening’s final at Colchester United’s Weston Holmes Community Stadium.

A Ben Hovell penalty after 17 minutes followed by a superb Danny Lines strike two minutes later rocked the Woodpeckers, whose sole reply came via Josh Hitter just before half-time.

Woodbridge enjoyed plenty of second-half possession, but lacked a cutting edge and Stowmarket goalkeeper Arlon Clarke was only called upon once in the closing stages to prevent the tie going to extra time.

It was Woodbridge who started the better and created three chances inside the opening 15 minutes, the last of which saw striker Ashley Rankin hit the inside of the near post after breaking clear.

You may also want to watch:

The final was turned on its head within four minutes as Stowmarket struck twice, the first from a penalty after Harry Knights had fouled Lines inside the box and Ben Hovell stepped up to send Finlay Shorten the wrong way from the spot.

Two minutes later Lines let fly with a spectacular 25-yard shot from the left that dipped over Shorten to double Stowmarket’s lead.

Most Read

It was almost 3-0 in the 35th minute, Tom Gould capitalising on indecision between Sean Munro and Shorten to toe-poke the ball goalwards but Knights got back to clear off the goalline.

Seven minutes later Woodbridge’s Josh Hitter, who impressed throughout, got forward from right-back to let fly with a shot from the edge of the area that found the top far corner of the net.

In the second-half Woodbridge pushed on in search of an equaliser, while Stowmarket were content to soak up the pressure and try to hit them on the break.

The closest the Woodpeckers came to breaching the Stowmarket back line came in the 79th minute when Hitter’s deep cross picked out Liam Brunning at the far post and Clarke flung himself to his right to tip away Brunning’s goal-bound header.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus