Suffolk’s Callum Wilkinson finishes seventh in Commonwealth Games
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Suffolk athlete, Callum Wilkinson, finished in a fine seventh place in the men’s 20K race walk at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games this weekend.
Wilkinson, of Moulton near Newmarket, was in impressive form at only his second major senior championships, having finished 41st at last summer’s IAAF World Championships in London.
The 21-year-old was in the top four during the first few kilometres, on a warm morning in Queensland, Australia (the race started at 7am local time, and 10pm on Saturday night BST).
After dropping back off the pace, Wilkinson finished strongly to take seventh place.
Wilkinson clocked a time of 1hr 22mins 35secs for the 20-lap 1K course.
His England team-mate, Tom Bosworth, won the silver medal behind winner Dane Bird-Smith, of Australia.
Bosworth’s time of 1hr 19mins 38secs was not only a personal best but also a British record for the 20K race walk.
- 1 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 4 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 9 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 10 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion