Suffolk’s non-league players to miss out on Portman Road finals for second season running
- Credit: Archant
Portman Road will not be used for any of this season’s Suffolk FA county cup finals.
It will be the second season running that Ipswich Town FC have been unable to host any of the finals at their ground.
The Premier Cup, Senior Cup and Junior Cup finals had been staged at Portman Road for a number of years, and the Women’s Cup final was also held there for the first time in 2013.
Ipswich Town secretary Sally Webb said: “We regret that we are unable to host the county cup finals, as we have done in past years.
“Our stadium may have to host play-off games at the end of the season and if we were fortunate enough to be promoted automatically we would be immediately involved in stadium and pitch renovation which would also prevent us from hosting the cup competitions.
“We wish all the competing teams the best for the remainder of the competitions and hope to host finals at Portman Road in the future.”
Suffolk FA chief executive Laura Smith said: “Obviously it is disappointing for all concerned, especially the competing clubs, their players and supporters who have made it through to the semi-final stage of the competitions.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 6 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 7 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 8 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 9 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 10 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
“However, unlike last season, we are able to inform clubs of Ipswich Town’s decision before they play their semi-final ties, so as to avoid some of the disappointment at the finals not being at Portman Road.
“As a county FA we are delighted to see Ipswich Town challenging strongly for promotion to the Premier League, and wish the club every success in achieving that this season.”
Venues for this season’s finals will be announced once the semi-finals have taken place and the finalists are known.