Suffolk’s non-league players to miss out on Portman Road finals for second season running
- Credit: Archant
Portman Road will not be used for any of this season’s Suffolk FA county cup finals.
It will be the second season running that Ipswich Town FC have been unable to host any of the finals at their ground.
The Premier Cup, Senior Cup and Junior Cup finals had been staged at Portman Road for a number of years, and the Women’s Cup final was also held there for the first time in 2013.
Ipswich Town secretary Sally Webb said: “We regret that we are unable to host the county cup finals, as we have done in past years.
“Our stadium may have to host play-off games at the end of the season and if we were fortunate enough to be promoted automatically we would be immediately involved in stadium and pitch renovation which would also prevent us from hosting the cup competitions.
You may also want to watch:
“We wish all the competing teams the best for the remainder of the competitions and hope to host finals at Portman Road in the future.”
Suffolk FA chief executive Laura Smith said: “Obviously it is disappointing for all concerned, especially the competing clubs, their players and supporters who have made it through to the semi-final stage of the competitions.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 3 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 4 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 8 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
“However, unlike last season, we are able to inform clubs of Ipswich Town’s decision before they play their semi-final ties, so as to avoid some of the disappointment at the finals not being at Portman Road.
“As a county FA we are delighted to see Ipswich Town challenging strongly for promotion to the Premier League, and wish the club every success in achieving that this season.”
Venues for this season’s finals will be announced once the semi-finals have taken place and the finalists are known.