Suffolk side reach national final
SUFFOLK Over-60 2nds beat Surrey 2nds at Ipswich CC in their semi-final encounter. The win was set up by the six Suffolk bowlers, who all bowled very meanly and were backed up by some excellent fielding so that Surrey were restricted to a total of 147 in their 45 overs.
In reply the Surrey bowlers initially also made batting difficult and at 41 for two after 14 overs there was still all to play for. However, Rickie Ratford and Derek Messent both batted very well to guide their side to victory which was achieved with six overs and six wickets to spare.
Suffolk will now play either Sussex or Essex in the final on a date and location still to be decided
Surrey Over 60s 2nds 147 for 8 (Alan Burt 3 for 22, Bob Perrett 2 for 20). Suffolk Over 60 2nds 148 for 4 (Rickie Ratford 55, Derek Messent 28no, Graham Penny 23). Suffolk won by 6 wkts.
Meanwhile, Suffolk & Norfolk Over-70s beat their Herts & Berks counterparts at Exning on a wet and overcast day. However thanks to the Exning ground staff, a reduction in overs, and goodwill by the umpires and both teams, the match was completed.
You may also want to watch:
Herts & Berks were asked to bat and struggled between the showers against the accurate bowling of Russ Abbott, Bob Perrett, Murphy, Brian Cole and David Howe and could only muster 123 for seven.
In reply the home team also found it difficult, losing Smith, Chris Watson and Cobb, before good innings from John Smyth and David Howe took their side to the brink of victory.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Herts & Berks 123 for 7 (D Howe 2 for 17, B Perrett 2 for 20, Murphy 2 for 28). Suffolk & Norfolk 124 for 5 (J Smyth 53, D Howe 22). Suffolk & Norfolk won by 5 wkts.
Marshall Hatchick Two Counties seniors have two games at Halstead today.
The Over-50s entertain Edmonton Veterans at Star Stile (1pm start).
Team: P Patel (captain), I Johnson (both Frinton), J Wiseman (Wivenhoe), J Gallant and M Paget (Abberton), C Walters (Sudbury), S Isaac (Braintree), S Bulger and M Southwell (Maldon), B Tompkins (Woodbridge), P Boughton (Copdock) and D Messent (Earls Colne). Umpires: R Digweed & K Angier. Scorer: W Black.
The Over-60s face Norfolk Over-60s, also with a 1pm start.
Team: G Penny (captain), S Carpenter and R Kemp (Long Melford), N Pearce (Easton), A Cooke (Copdock), D Curtis (Copford), B Ball (Abberton), K Patel (Braintree), J Stonehouse (Eight Ash Green), S Marks (Melton St Audry’s), R Ratford and P McGain (Ipswich). Umpire: P Smith. Scorer: R Podd.