Suffolk side reach national final
SUFFOLK Over-60 2nds beat Surrey 2nds at Ipswich CC in their semi-final encounter. The win was set up by the six Suffolk bowlers, who all bowled very meanly and were backed up by some excellent fielding so that Surrey were restricted to a total of 147 in their 45 overs.
In reply the Surrey bowlers initially also made batting difficult and at 41 for two after 14 overs there was still all to play for. However, Rickie Ratford and Derek Messent both batted very well to guide their side to victory which was achieved with six overs and six wickets to spare.
Suffolk will now play either Sussex or Essex in the final on a date and location still to be decided
Surrey Over 60s 2nds 147 for 8 (Alan Burt 3 for 22, Bob Perrett 2 for 20). Suffolk Over 60 2nds 148 for 4 (Rickie Ratford 55, Derek Messent 28no, Graham Penny 23). Suffolk won by 6 wkts.
Meanwhile, Suffolk & Norfolk Over-70s beat their Herts & Berks counterparts at Exning on a wet and overcast day. However thanks to the Exning ground staff, a reduction in overs, and goodwill by the umpires and both teams, the match was completed.
Herts & Berks were asked to bat and struggled between the showers against the accurate bowling of Russ Abbott, Bob Perrett, Murphy, Brian Cole and David Howe and could only muster 123 for seven.
In reply the home team also found it difficult, losing Smith, Chris Watson and Cobb, before good innings from John Smyth and David Howe took their side to the brink of victory.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 5 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 6 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 7 Lorry carrying mobile unit pulled over on A14 for being too wide
- 8 Award-winning Suffolk restaurant opens new gourmet food shop
- 9 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
Herts & Berks 123 for 7 (D Howe 2 for 17, B Perrett 2 for 20, Murphy 2 for 28). Suffolk & Norfolk 124 for 5 (J Smyth 53, D Howe 22). Suffolk & Norfolk won by 5 wkts.
Marshall Hatchick Two Counties seniors have two games at Halstead today.
The Over-50s entertain Edmonton Veterans at Star Stile (1pm start).
Team: P Patel (captain), I Johnson (both Frinton), J Wiseman (Wivenhoe), J Gallant and M Paget (Abberton), C Walters (Sudbury), S Isaac (Braintree), S Bulger and M Southwell (Maldon), B Tompkins (Woodbridge), P Boughton (Copdock) and D Messent (Earls Colne). Umpires: R Digweed & K Angier. Scorer: W Black.
The Over-60s face Norfolk Over-60s, also with a 1pm start.
Team: G Penny (captain), S Carpenter and R Kemp (Long Melford), N Pearce (Easton), A Cooke (Copdock), D Curtis (Copford), B Ball (Abberton), K Patel (Braintree), J Stonehouse (Eight Ash Green), S Marks (Melton St Audry’s), R Ratford and P McGain (Ipswich). Umpire: P Smith. Scorer: R Podd.