Frankel the Suffolk wonder-horse celebrates his 10th birthday today
- Credit: PA
Suffolk super-horse Frankel is 10 years old today.
The thoroughbred racehorse, who was unbeaten in his 14-race career, was born on February 11, 2008, at Banstead Manor Stud at Cheveley, Suffolk, where he is now standing stud.
He was announced as being the highest-rated racehorse of all time at a press conference in January 2013, three months after his retirement.
Owned by the Saudi prince Khalid Abdulla, Frankel was once suggested to have a valuation of £100million.
Frankel’s performance in the 2000 Guineas was described as “one of the greatest displays on a British racecourse”.
You may also want to watch:
The thoroughbred, trained by the late Sir Henry Cecil in Newmarket, retired to stud at Banstead Manor Stud in 2012.
He covered his first mares on Valentine’s Day, February 2013, when his fee was set at £125,000.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
In his first season as a stallion he covered 133 mares, including several highly regarded champions.
Frankel even met the queen of pop Kylie Minogue in 2015 before her live performance at Newmarket Racecourse.
The singer posed for photographs and posted a video on Twitter, saying: “That was fun!!! Frankel!!”