Super Becky Sherwin claims a gold and two silvers at National Championships in Sheffield
- Credit: Archant
Team Ipswich’s Becky Sherwin enjoyed a super National Championships in Sheffield, winning two silvers and a gold at Bagcat (British Age group) level.
The youngster struck gold in the 13-yr 100m backstroke and claimed superb silver medals in the 200m freestyle and 200m backstroke.
Elsewhere, team-mate Dominic Scifo won silver in the 100m butterfly.
On day one, Becky and Lucy Oxbrow competed in the 13-yr 100m freestyle with the former finishing 12th in the heats with a personal best time of 60.82s. Lucy finished fifth in 60.20s and gained a place in her first ever final in which she finished sixth.
In the girls’ 200m backstroke, Cara Hetherington had a solid swim in the 14yr category, finishing with a time of 2.29.94 but the race final saw Becky claim silver in 2.29.41.
You may also want to watch:
In the boys’ 4x100m freestyle relay, the boys improved on their entry time in 3.58.99.
On day two, Becky and Lucy competed in the 400m freestyle with the former just off her best in 4.33.79. Meanwhile Lucy stormed to a big new best time of 4.35.25.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
Next up was Harry Eade competing in his first-ever Nationals in the 12yr 100m freestyle and he put in an impressive performance with a new best time of 1.01.83.
Dominic Scifo, competing in the boys’ 13-yr old 200m IM, had an excellent race, finishing with a new best time of 2.23.66.
The girls’ 4x100m freestyle relay was the last event of the morning session and saw Lucy, Becky, Emily Dowding and Cara Hetherington qualify for the final with a best time of 4.02.64.
Later they pulled out all the stops in the final to finish in seventh place.
In the 200m freestyle, Lucy Oxbrow finished in 16th and Becky fourth, qualifying for the final.
In the final, Becky had an exceptional swim, winning her second silver medal with a huge best time of 2.07.46.
Amie Philpot, 11, competed in the 100m backstroke in her first ever nationals and finished 15th, while Cara Hetherington, in the 14 year old age group had a solid performance with a time of 1.08.50.
The last event of the morning was the girls’ 4x200m freestyle relay, and the finished seventh in the final.
The final day saw the girls team back in action, this time for the 4x100 medley relay.
It was then over to Becky won her first gold in the 13-yr 100m backstroke, before Scifo earned his silver in the 100m butterfly in a new best time of 1.01.27.