Super Peckers stun Felixstowe

Ridgeons League reviewJUST three games survived the weather in the Ridgeons Premier Division which saw a change at the top and a shock at Dellwood Avenue.

Ridgeons League review

JUST three games survived the weather in the Ridgeons Premier Division which saw a change at the top and a shock at Dellwood Avenue.

The big match saw leaders Needham's game against 3rd placed Leiston at Bloomfields fall victim of the New Year weather and CRC took full advantage as their match at The Abbey Stadium went ahead.

Leading goal-scorer Adam Marriott fired the Scholars into a 3rd minute lead against Haverhill Rovers and they never looked likely to relinquish their grip on the game adding two more before the break through Patrick & Berry. The visitors held off the surge of CRC attacks until the final five minutes when substitute French added the fourth and Marriott doubled his tally to make it 5-0. The win saw CRC climb above Needham Market into top spot by a single point, but with a superior goal difference and the bonus of two games in hand.

You may also want to watch:

Shock of the day came at Dellwood Avenue were 7th placed Felixstowe & Walton were thrashed by relegation haunted neighbours Woodbridge Town. A lively start from the home side produced no reward as the Woodpeckers battling for survival produced a determined defensive display and on the half hour Seaman got up from being bowled over in the area to fire the visitors into the lead from the penalty spot.

The home side were quickly level through Wright, but Woodbridge hero Josh Mayhew put his side back in front before the break. Mayhew quickly added a third after the break as the Seasiders defence set sail and a bad day was compounded when a mix up saw Bloomfield put the ball past his 'keeper to make it four. The glory was left for Mayhew to complete his hat-trick to make it 5-1 and leave the home side shell shocked.

Most Read

Debenham produced a heroic effort to stage their game at Maitlands but were left wishing that perhaps they should have had an afternoon off. The sides kicked off on a pitch still covered in snow but with the lines clear enough to suit the referee who allowed the game to be played.

Wroxham had not played for three weeks but it took just 3 minutes for Paul Cook to put his side ahead and they maintained their slender lead to take all three points. The win saw the Yachtsmen climb above their hosts and up into eighth place and like CRC, they have games in hand to make an impression on the leading pack.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus