Super ‘skip’ Luke Chambers the first name on Mick McCarthy’s team sheet
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy reacts incredulously to the merest suggestion captain Luke Chambers’ position in the team is under threat.
The 30-year-old’s role at right-back has long split opinion among Blues fans, with the debate re-ignited following a below-par performance in last Saturday’s goalless home draw with Aston Villa.
“I’ll try and put my best bothered look on,” said McCarthy, dryly, when the above was put to him. “Everything we do at the minute seems to split opinion.
“Yes, he’s probably a centre-back, but he’s done amazingly well. On Saturday he just had a bit of a tough day. But if anybody gives any more than he does, in terms of the commitment for the cause, I’d like to see it.
“Let me tell you, there is nobody better in the club (for right-back) and he’s one of the best captains I’ve ever had. He is a leader, the lads call him ‘skip’ and they all look up to him. I think he’s been an inspiration to a lot of players. He drives them on.
You may also want to watch:
“So, I’m sorry to all those with ‘split opinions’, but he will be playing on Saturday and on Tuesday, then probably the next 30-odd games.”
The first name on the team sheet? “Yes,” is the reply. Asked if he’d ever considered signing a bone fide right-back in recent transfer windows, McCarthy said: “I don’t know where I’m going to get one as good as him who would not cost me an arm and a leg and that has the same character, the same determination and all the qualities I love in footballers. So, in answer to your question, no.”
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 5 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 9 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 10 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
– See today’s EADT for full Leeds United v Ipswich Town preview. Follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter for live match updates.