Superb Braintree Town gear up for Cambridge clash with victory over ten-man Tamworth – Peters nets his first for the Essex club

Ryan Peters grabbed his first goal in seven seasons and his first-ever for Braintree Town, as the Iron comfortably saw off Tamworth at Cressing Road.

Ryan Peters grabbed his first goal in seven seasons and his first-ever for Braintree Town, as the Iron comfortably saw off Tamworth at Cressing Road.

The right-back was on hand to flick home a Jordan Cox cross after 51 minutes as the home side managed to turn their ever-increasing dominance into goals.

And when James Mulley planted a second in the net for Braintree with 15 minutes left, Iron were home and dry.

This really was as big a 2-0 thrashing as you could imagine.

Poor Tamworth – already facing a long injury crisis before the game – were not helped when central defender Duane Courtney limped off after just eight minutes.

Already Mulley had headed tamely at Cameron Belford in the visitors goal and Jordan Cox had won the ball on the by-line only to blaze wide.

Most Read

So, while Courtney’s injury was a blow, the writing was already on the wall for a Tamworth side who were clearly devoid of confidence.

And when Lee Hildreth managed to get himself two yellow cards in the space of two minutes just after the half-hour, Tamworth were down to 10-men and staring down the barrel.

Not that going down to 10-men was the sole contributing factor in this game.

Braintree started sharply and looked good from the off.

By the end of 90 minutes they had accumulated 22 shots on and off target, as well as 18 corners.

If it had been a boxing match, the referee would have stopped it long before the end.

After their Boxing Day defeat to Cambridge United at the Abbey Stadium – (Iron get their chance for revenge on New Year’s Day when United come to Cressing Road) –Braintree were on the front foot from the off.

Alan Devonshire’s side clearly fear no-one in the Conference and why should they?

Cox came in for Dan Holman and proved himself an able front runner, while Dan Sparkes was in fine form down the left-hand side.

Corner after corner peppered Belford’s goal in the first half, Sparkes putting in some superb dead kicks from the corner flag.

Dean Wells had a header saved and Sean Marks’ follow-up was cleared, before Peters had a shot and Cox one as well, all saved and all before Tamworth had ventured into the visitors half.

Mulley’s squirming run almost broke the deadlock, before Hildreth got himself two yellow cards, for kicking the ball away one minute, and fouling Mulley two minutes later.

Ironically with 10-men, Tamworth had their two best chances, both free-kicks from Connor Gudger that firstly saw Nick Chadwick waste a free header and then everyone miss the ball, as it just went past the far post.

It took just six minutes of the second half for Peters to strike gold. Skipper Kenny Davis put the ball through to Cox, whose thunderous low cross saw Peters at the near post flick home.

It was relief all round and a case of how many Braintree could muster.

In the end only Mulley could add another, a patient saw the ball fed out to the right-hand side and Mulley slotted the ball across Belford into the net on 74 minutes.

More chances came and went for the home side in what was one of the most one-sided second halves you are likely to see at this level.

Braintree can now look forward to Cambridge United on Wednesday.

Attendance: 811