‘I’ve never scored so late in a match’ – U’s poacher Szmodics after 1-1 draw at Mansfield
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United attacker Sammie Szmodics was on cloud nine after earning the U’s a last gasp point thanks to a real goal poacher’s effort, in the fifth minute of stoppage time in a 1-1 draw at Mansfield Town this afternoon.
Livewire Szmodics made the most of a mistake by Stags keeper Conrad Logan, who failed to gather a long throw by Ryan Jackson delivered into the danger zone.
The U’s 22-year-old, the club’s leading scorer last season with 13 goals, poked home the loose ball from point blank range to rescue a point for John McGreal’s men, after they had fallen behind to Craig Davies’ wonder strike on 81 minutes.
“I don’t think I’ve ever scored a goal so late in a match,” enthused Szmodics.
“Their keeper (Logan) missed it. I was right behind him, from Jacko’s throw, and it looked as though the keeper was going to catch it. He’s a big lad, but he flapped at it and I managed to put it away.
You may also want to watch:
“They all count. Their geezer (Davies) scored with a sweet left-footer, but at the end of the day a goal is a goal.
“He scored one, and I scored one. He earned a point for his team, and so did I.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
“We came into this game with a different game-plan, because a lot of sides will come here and lose. We weathered the storm and put in a massive performance, defensively.
“We have looked so strong at the back already this season, and we are always likely to score goals at the other end.
“Bring on the rest of the season, that’s what I say!
“I want to keep scoring, and keep finding the net,” added Szmodics.