Taekwondo player Aaron Cook will continue fighting
AARON Cook will continue the fight to appear for Team GB at next month’s Olympics, the number one taekwondo player’s representatives have confirmed.
Cook was omitted at the expense of Lutalo Muhammed, a European champion at a higher level, who is dropping down to compete at -80kg.
GB Taekwondo performance director Gary Hall is determined to keep the focus on the Games but this new twist is likely to add more distraction to the team’s preparation.
Cook’s manager Jamie Cunningham said in a statement: “We can confirm that Harbottle & Lewis have written to the BOA with advice from Michael Beloff QC of Blackstone Chambers.
“We have also included new evidence, including a sworn statement by the journalist from Mastaekwondo.com, the world’s leading independent Taekwondo news website.
You may also want to watch:
“We can also confirm that we have fully supported the World Taekwondo Federation’s investigation into the selection process.
“Finally, we would like to thank all Taekwondo athletes, media and officials who have approached us from the UK and internationally with information and advice.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 7 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 8 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 Motorcyclist in life-threatening condition after crash with parked cars
“I am sure that there is more to come and again any such approaches can be made either to myself or Robert Mitchell from Harbottle & Lewis in strictest confidence.”
Cook claims he had been “cheated” out of his rightful place because of the decision to leave the GB Taekwondo Academy programme, which the governing body have always refuted.
Muhammed’s inclusion was ratified by the BOA at the third time of asking.