TEAM NEWS: Anthony Wordsworth handed his first league start in more than 10 months for game at Brighton
- Credit: Archant
Brighton v Ipswich: Anthony Wordsworth is a surprise starter for Ipswich Town for this afternoon’s Championship match at Brighton.
The former Colchester United midfielder replaces the injured Cole Skuse in what is the only change following last weekend’s 3-1 home defeat to Wigan.
Wordsworth’s last league start came on the final game of the 2012/13 season more than 10 months ago, with his only start this season being the 1-1 home draw with Preston in the FA Cup third round back in January.
McCarthy spoke about his side’s lack of goals from midfield in the build-up to this crunch match, the Blues looking to keep pace with the eighth-place Seagulls as the season enters the final straight. Wordsworth will certainly add creativity and a goal threat to what has been a largely industrious midfield, Paul Green and Jay Tabb left on the bench.
Frank Nouble – fit again after a tight hamstring – replaces Paul Taylor on the bench, the latter having travelled but not been selected for the 18-man squad.
You may also want to watch:
Brighton boss Oscar Garcia has made just once change to his side following their 2-0 win at Bolton last weekend. Former Blues loanee Keith Andrews, who was unavailable to face his parent club, returns to the starting line-up, with Dale Stephens dropping to the bench.
– For live match updates, follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 4 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 7 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 8 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 9 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION (4-3-3): Kuszczak; Bruno, Greer (cot), Upson, Ward; Ince, Andrews, Forster-Caskey; Buckley, Ulloa, Lingard.
Subs: Brezovan, Dunk, Stephens, Rodriguez, Calderon, LuaLua, March.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-1-1): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Berra, Smith, Cresswell; Anderson, Wordsworth, Hyam, Hunt; Williams, Murphy.
Subs: Loach, Richardson, Mings, Green, Tabb, Nouble, Ebanks-Blake.
Referee: Darren Drysdale