TEAM NEWS: Stephen Hunt starts against former club Reading
Ipswich v Reading: Stephen Hunt has been handed only his second start for Ipswich Town for the visit of his former club Reading to Portman Road.
The experienced Irish left-winger – whose last start was a man-of-the-match display in the 3-1 home win over Blackburn on December 3 – replaces the injured Luke Hyam (cut leg) following last weekend’s limp 1-0 defeat at Millwall.
That means that Ryan Tunnicliffe will return to his favoured central midfield role, with Jay Tabb (also ex-Reading and a subbed substitute at The Den) on the bench.
Keeper Dean Gerken remains between the sticks after making two high-profile errors in his last two outings, manager Mick McCarthy explaining his reasons for that decision in yesterday’s press conference.
Reading moved up to sixth in the Championship table last weekend following a 7-1 win over Bolton. Nigel Adkins, unsurprisingly, names an unchanged side for the third successive match.
A fortnight ago Ipswich were unbeaten in nine matches and sixth in the Championship table, but three successive defeats – against QPR, Preston and Millwall – has seen them exit the FA Cup and drop to 10th.
You may also want to watch:
Reading, by contrast, are on the up having blown hot-and-cold following relegation from the Premier League. They moved up to sixth last weekend.
It’s understood that Middlesbrough right-back Frazer Richardson is at Portman Road and will complete a loan switch on Monday ahead of Tuesday’s trip to his former club Leeds.
Read the full match preview here.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Gerken; Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell; Edwards (cpt), Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Hunt; Murphy, McGoldrick.
Subs: Loach, Mings, Tabb, Wordsworth, Anderson, Nouble, Taylor.
READING (4-4-2): McCarthy; Gunter, Pearce, Gorkss, Obita; McCleary, Akpan, Williams, McAnuff; Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak.
Subs: Federici, Cummings, Kelly, Hector, J Taylor, Blackman, Drenthe.
Referee: Andrew Madley