TEAM NEWS: Top-goalscorer David McGoldrick rested for visit of Charlton
Ipswich v Charlton: Blues boss Mick McCarthy has decided to pre-empt any jadedness following the hectic Christmas period, making three changes to his starting line-up for today’s Championship visit of Charlton Athletic.
Town are third in the form table (only the top two of Derby and Leicester above them), their seven-game unbeaten run lifting them into sixth in the standings.
McCarthy has named the same team for the previous five matches, but has decided to shuffle his pack for what is the third game of a spell including four matches in 10 days.
Top-goalscorer David McGoldrick, fellow striker Frank Nouble and midfielder Luke Hyam all drop to the bench, with Paul Anderson, Jay Tabb and Paul Taylor all starting in their place. It’s Taylor’s first league start for Ipswich since he sustained a bad foot injury in September 2012.
It will mean a return to a 4-4-2 formation for the Blues.
You may also want to watch:
Charlton boss Chris Powell has made three changes to his team following last weekend’s 1-1 home draw with Sheffield Wednesday. The full-back duo of Rhoys Wiggins and Chris Solly replace Cedric Evina and Johnnie Jackson respectively, while Marvin Sordell is in for Simon Church up front.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Berra, Smith, Cresswell; Anderson, Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Tabb; Murphy, Taylor.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Subs: Loach, Mings, Hyam, Edwards, Wordsworth, McGoldrick, Nouble.
CHARLTON ATHLETIC (4-4-2): Alnwick; Solly, Morrison, Woods, Wiggins; Wilson, Stephens, Cousins, Stewart; Kermorgant, Sordell.
Subs: Hamer, Evina, Jackson, Dervite, Church, Pritchard, Cook.
Referee: Stuart Attwell.