Teams announced for Fen Tigers’ opening ‘Fen Fours’ meeting
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
A packed crowd in the ‘Fenman’ bar at Mildenhall Stadium waited in anticipation last Saturday evening for the announcement of the riders and managers for this year’s seasonal opener.
The club had worked hard to keep the riders a closely-guarded secret, and the response from supporters left no one in any doubt that this is a strong and exciting field of riders, many of whom have Mildenhall connections.
The opening salvo saw the Team Managers drawn by the team sponsors, a line-up which was like a ‘who’s who’ of Suffolk speedway.
Current ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers and Mildenhall legend, Robert Henry, will be joined by ex- World Champion Mark Loram, Tony ‘Shrimp’ Davey and Nigel Flatman.
Next, the riders were drawn in individual groups to ensure competitive teams and a meeting no one will want to miss!
You may also want to watch:
The teams are as follows:
Assured Services: Stefan Nielsen, Jon Armstrong, Ryan Kinsley & Sam Woods.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 5 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 7 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 10 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
TM Nigel Flatman Browns Builders: Josh Bates, Danny Halsey, Chris Widman & Jordan Jenkins.
TM Tony Davey Mighty Manchetts (current holders): Ben Morley, Nathan Stoneman, Danno Verge & Taylor Hampshire.
TM Mark Loram D Palmer & Sons: Danny Ayres, Connor Mountain, Alfie Bowtell & Luke Ruddick.
TM Robert Henry The Fen Fours will open the Mildenhall ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers 2017 season on Sunday, April 9 (parade at 2.45pm, first race at 3pm).
The meeting will be run on a similair format to the World Team Cup, with the exact details to be realised nearer the time.
Speaking after the draw, promoter Kevin Jolly was pleased with the way the draw had worked out. He said: “I made a point of looking for four groups of riders that would ensure that each of our great sponsors would have a good team with a chance of taking the spoils.
“Tonight has been brilliant for us and has just emphasised what a great winter this has been for the club.
“With so many supporters here enjoying the drama, I have to feel confident for the season ahead.
“I can’t wait for April 9, for us to get underway.”