Town star Bishop named in League One team of the week
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town midfielder Teddy Bishop has been named in the League One team of the week.
The young star scored Town’s opener with a fine header as they saw off Wigan Athletic 2-0 at Portman Road on Sunday, and was at the fore throughout the game, which was screened live on Sky Sports.
Bishop was duly picked as Sky’s Man of the Match, and now takes his place in League One’s best XI of the weekend.
After the game, Bishop, 24, said: “I don’t know if I’ve ever scored a header in training, let alone in a game, but as a midfielder you need to add goals to your game. I’ve worked on it a lot and I was pleased to score.
“We’ve worked on arriving in the box and I think I did that well. I didn’t expect the ball to fall to me, but it did and then when it comes to you, you have to take your chance. I’m glad I did but it’s a shame there were no fans in the stadium to celebrate with – we’re missing them and we hope they’re back soon.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought I was going to get a brace, too. I was right behind that shot and the keeper’s got a touch onto the post. It was a great save.”
Bishop and the Blues next play on Wednesday night, when they welcome Premier League Fulham to Portman Road in the second round of the Carabao Cup. That match kicks off at 7pm.
- 1 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 2 Matchday Recap: Town beaten at home by Wyke goal
- 3 Jack Whomes to be freed after 23 years in jail for 'Essex Boys' murders
- 4 Noise disruption possible as low-flying RAF jets simulate training
- 5 Farm vehicle and power tools worth thousands stolen in break in
- 6 Covid rips through Suffolk care homes again with deaths up 50% in a week
- 7 Teenager seriously injured in Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Town's reaction will be fascinating as Sunderland visit on a big night for Lambert's Ipswich
- 9 Watch: What next for Debenhams stores across Suffolk and Essex?
- 10 'It's up to Marcus what he does' - Lambert reacts to Sunderland defeat