Teenage duo going on loan
COLCHESTER United's teenage duo of Jamie Guy and Robbie King are both heading off to Conference side Cambridge United next week.Front-runner Guy and midfielder King, who have both made their first-team debuts over the last year, are set to move to the Abbey Stadium on work experience loans.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United's teenage duo of Jamie Guy and Robbie King are both heading off to Conference side Cambridge United next week.
Front-runner Guy and midfielder King, who have both made their first-team debuts over the last year, are set to move to the Abbey Stadium on work experience loans.
Both players have recently enjoyed similar loan stints at Ryman League Premier Division club Staines Town. Guy scored eight goals and King weighed in with four, to boost the Swans' promotion credentials.
You may also want to watch:
The Colchester duo played 45 minutes for Cambridge Reserves in a friendly fixture against Southend on Wednesday, and boss Rob Newman was suitably impressed.
“I've spoken to Phil Parkinson, the Colchester manager, and he wants to involve them in their LDV Vans Trophy game next Tuesday (at Cheltenham),” revealed Newman.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
“Hopefully following that they will be coming in on work experience. I don't need my players to get in the comfort zone. They need to know that players are still coming in.
“These might be only young lads, but if they're better than what we've got, then they've got a chance of staying in the side,” insisted Newman.
Striker Guy made a couple of substitute appearances for Colchester last season, and made a couple more at the start of this term. Both he and King then started the LDV Vans Trophy game at MK Dons in December, which the U's won 2-1.