Teenage star Robert gets his season off to a flyer with a fine win in Cumbria
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk teenage star Robert Welham made his debut in the high profile “Super One” British Kart Racing Championships at Rowrah in Cumbria last weekend and took a well-deserved victory in the main Final.
Having shown consistency throughout the weekend in challenging weather conditions the 15-year-old Claydon High School, Ipswich pupil had good pace in the heats and qualified sixth for Final One, making excellent progress and finishing fourth, which ensured he started the main Final in the front rows.
A great start saw Welham carve through the pack on the very first lap to take second place before taking the lead in lap three, where he proceeded to dictate the pace for the rest of the race and finished with a comfortable two second gap.
The victory also saw him pick up the “Top Rookie” Trophy as well.
The prestigious Karting series which produced many famous drivers including Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, David Coulthard and Jason Plato to name but a few, saw Robert line up against 30 of the best young drivers in the country.
You may also want to watch:
The win is the best possible start to his quest to add a British title to his impressive list of Karting achievements which include winning his first MSA Championship Title in 2016.
Robert, who drives for Precision Racing Kart Team has enjoyed a successful rise through the ranks having only started racing in 2013, progressing each season and taking a significant number of victories on the way.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 10 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
The last 12 months has seen him scoop the Junior X30 Championship Title at Shenington Kart Club, finish a creditable 4th in The Maxxis TKM Festival Junior Elite Final as well as Sodi World Series British Champion. 2016 also saw him join the Driver Development Programme at the Izone Driver Performance facility at Silverstone which is used by elite drivers across the motorsport formulas.
This win will only increase his desire to progress even further as he makes excellent strides in the sport.