Ten-man Braintree well beaten at Welling
- Credit: Archant
National League South Welling United 3 Braintree Town 0 Braintree Town travelled to a wet Park View Road on Saturday, hoping to get their season back on track and improve on their recent record of three wins in 12 games, writes Jon Weaver.
Manager Brad Quinton made several changes to the starting line up. Okoye, Wyatt & Grant made way for Bettache, Michael-Percil and Allen.
Kicking up the slope it was the home side who settled quicker and peppered McDonald’s goal area with wayward shots. Welling’s Bradley Goldberg was proving to be a handful for Iron’s over worked defence with both Frimpong and Ellul having to take evasive action to contain his threat.
In the 26th minute a spat of handbags between Ricky Gabriel and Callum Driver in front of the Welling dugout led to a melee and ultimately a red card for the Iron man and a yellow for Driver.
Within minutes of the restart Roman Michael-Percil, who had barely been involved up to that point, was withdrawn for Ben Wyatt who slotted in well at left back. Muleba did well to block a goal bound shot from Parkinson in the 43rd minute.
You may also want to watch:
Iron reached the break on level terms but hadn’t managed a shot on target. Frimpong and Roberts had both been booked.
The second half began with Welling still in charge. Wyatt blocked Monokana’s effort and Frimpong also frustrated the home attack. Iron were dropping deep and making little impression on the home rearguard.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
In the 61st minute Ellul fouled Healey outside the penalty area and was booked. McDonald’s goal seemed huge and inviting and Driver thought so too as he stepped up and smashed the free kick into the top right hand corner.
Three minutes later Braintree almost equalised. Wyatt won the ball superbly out wide and fed Roberts who registered Iron’s first meaningful shot with a low drive that Miles gathered at his near post.
The game was effectively over for Braintree in the 67th minute. McDonald’s punch from a corner fell to Acheampong who blasted the ball into the net.
Welling added a third through substitute Jebb with 13 minutes remaining. His speculative effort from out by the touchline swept in at the far post.
A disappointing end to a bad week for Braintree, who have a difficult trip to Havant & Waterlooville up next.