Terry Butcher doesn’t think Joe Garner is the answer as Ipswich Town’s striker search goes on
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town legend Terry Butcher is concerned by a lack of transfer activity at Portman Road and says finally signing a genuine Daryl Murphy replacement should be the top priority this summer.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy met owner Marcus Evans to seek reassurances about the club’s ambition following a torturous season that resulted in a 16th place Championship finish and thousands of bored supporters deciding not to renew their season tickets.
It’s not known how those discussions went, but McCarthy – who has always worked on a shoestring budget in Suffolk – remains in charge and Town are yet to sign a fresh face this summer.
With a host of players released, the senior squad numbers just 20 at present with a return to pre-season training less than three weeks away.
“Marley Watkins going to Norwich is a bitter pill to swallow for me because I know him well and thought he would have been fantastic for Ipswich,” said Butcher, who signed the forward for Inverness.
“Unfortunately he has gone to the enemy, so I’ll be having a few words with him about that move the next time I see him!”
He continued: “I appreciate it’s difficult to do business early when everyone is going for the same players, but I think we’d all have liked to see some sort of transfer activity by now. I worry the quality players will all start to become unavailable and that’s definitely what Ipswich need – some quality.
“Whether it be permanent signings or loans, Ipswich need players who can come in and excite and get the crowd off their feet. We need players with pace, players who are comfortable on the ball and who want to get on the ball.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the Ipswich fans are more disillusioned with a lack of entertainment rather than the results. The Portman Road faithful are pretty fed up with the balance being tipped towards steel rather than style.”
Town have been linked with a £500k move for Rangers striker Joe Garner, but Butcher, who made more than 100 appearances for the Ibrox club and regularly covers their games as a television pundit, said: “He wouldn’t be one I’d be excited about getting to be honest. He’s just not the sort of player that Ipswich need. They need a Daryl Murphy replacement, a physical presence who can head it, control it and link the play up. David McGoldrick needs someone to feed off again. Getting that big, strong striker is the most important piece of the jigsaw for me.”
• Terry Butcher was speaking as guest of Mobilebet. For more information about Mobilebet’s £10 free bet offer please visit www.mobilebet.com.
- 1 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes